Lemongrass chicken. The perfect way to feature the incredible flavor of lemongrass. A touch of chili paste and brown sugar adds some sweet heat to this delicious grilled chicken. For a quick and easy meal idea, this lemongrass flavored chicken is a sure winner.
Commonly used in East Asian cuisine, the citrus aroma and lemony flavor of lemongrass makes it a stellar choice for a lip-smacking marinade for your favorite protein and vegetables. Just the right amount of this aromatic herb uplifts the entire dish.
- 1 lemongrass stalk
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili paste (or 2 bird’s eye chilies, finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 kg chicken thighs (see notes)
- Oil, to brush the grill grates
- Egg noodles or cooked rice, to serve
- Remove the tough outer layers from lemongrass and chop finely. Place it in a food processor along with garlic and shallots. Process to a smooth paste.
- Add oil, fish sauce, chili paste, brown sugar and soy sauce. Process to a smooth paste. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add chicken. Coat the chicken in the marinade. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.Preheat grill to low heat.
- Brush the grates with oil. Remove the thighs from the marinade, shaking off any excess. Place them on the grill smooth side up. Cook, covered, for 12-15 minutes. Baste with the marinade. Flip over and cook, covered, for another 12-15 minutes or until no pink remains.
- Transfer chicken to a platter and let it rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
– Add more or less chili paste depending on how hot you like it
– You can also bake the chicken thighs at 220C / 450F for 40-45 minutes